So, recently I’ve been utterly obsessed and entranced by the quirky and cute character of Jess Day – played by the enigmatic and wide-eyed Zooey Deschanel in the new Fox sitcom, New Girl. I have to admit, I knew her for many years as “That chick that’s Bones’ sister”, but with her adorable dressing, fabulously wacky personality and care-free music, she’s definitely in a little graphical pie-chart section of her own when it comes to being awesome.
Bee to the dub people, she plays keyboards, percussion, banjo and ukulele – yes, the ukulele, people – she is one half of the American indie pop duo, She & Him (the other half consists of M. Ward), and played the roles of Trillian in the Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. She also had ADD, helped launch the women-friendly website HelloGiggles and is the face of Rimmel. So, to put it short, she’s alarmingly awe-inspiring.
Adding to this is my love of her wardrobe – both on a personal level, and whoever is the genius that dresses her in New Girl (apparently, a lady named Debra McGuire), consider me astonished at her huge selection of Little Red Dresses (LRD). Which I love. Of course. I was going to write that it’s comparable to any sensible girl’s obsession with the LBD – but then starkly realised that I usually hate dresses on every level. Well, until recently, that is.
All these LRD’s are sourced from Modcloth – it appears that Modcloth is the place to be if you’re in search of a red dress – and my, don’t they have a lot of them there!
JESS DAY (ZOOEY) LOOKING PERKY IN A LRD:
A HANDFULL OF LRD CHOICES:
- Hollywood Mars Dress $65 – modcloth.com
- Clink About It $90 – modcloth.com
- Red At Night $70 – modcloth.com
- Raspberry Compote $58 – modcloth.com
Now, glasses are a thing I just can not live without – as you know, they assist me with a skill a find very valuable – seeing. So, of course I was happy to see that Jess also clads herself in glasses when she can’t be bothered to switch to contacts. Also..flannel. Flattering.
(I love flannel…shh)
JESS DAY (ZOOEY) LOOKING STUNNED IN SPECS + FLANNEL:
A HANDFULL OF SPECTACLE CHOICES:
- Kate Spade New York ‘Rebecca’ Reading Glasses (aq/tortoise) $70 – nordstrom.com
- Reece Jakob Full Frames Prescription Glasses $59 – glassesusa.com
- Diane Von Furstenberg DVF505RD $65 – couture.zappos.com
- Kate Spade New York ‘Rebecca’ Reading Glasses (black) $70 – nordstrom.com
A HANDFULL OF FLANNELETTE CHOICES:
- TNA Pemberton Flannel Tunic <$60 – aritzia.com
- Tara flannel $34 – abercrombie.com
- Millie flannel 25 EUR – monki.com
Now on to the more girly looks – throw in some adorable printed and skater skirts, blouses and pile on practical and colourful footwear – I’ve been on a search to find the perfect pair of cobalt flats – but to no avail – clearly fashion in Australia is getting a little on the weak side.
JESS DAY (ZOOEY) LOOKING QUIZZICAL IN A CUTE BLOUSE, SKIRT + FLATS COMBO:
A HANDFULL OF BLOUSE + SKIRT CHOICES:
- Ladies Pussy Bow Blouse £16 – peacocks.co.uk
- 50’s Full Spot Skirt £32 – topshop.com
- Green Skater Skirt £14 – missselfridge.com
- JUICY COUTURE French Vanilla Cotton Lace Top With Bow $110 – stylebop.com
- Halcyon Leather Flip Skirt $375 AUD – zimmermannstore.com
- Magpie Contrast Toe Points $56 – topshop.com
- Banana Republic Scotty Color Block Ballet Flat $98 – bananarepublic.gap.com
- ANNA BAIGUERA Suede Bow Front Ballerinas $94 – boutique1.com
- Bloch Patent ballerina flats – web.archive.org
- Patent Leather Ballerina $20 – zara.com
- Loeffler Randal Aislinn $153 – couture.zappos.com
So, dressing like Jess Day? Yay or Nay? Or everyday?